Develop your skills in technical theater during an internship in Italy, working with a performing arts company or theater. You will contribute your own skills while also learning specific methods from your host group. This experience will certainly boost your portfolio and resume, but will also give you a window into the similarities and differences in performance across cultures.
Surrounded by style and elegance in everything from food to fashion, you’ll feel the artistic heart of Florence as soon as you step off the plane. With innumerable cafes, beautiful neighborhood streets, and rich architectural wonders, Florence will have you hooked. Feel the vibrant arts culture of this Renaissance city and take advantage of the many theater performances that proliferate here. Showcasing classical theater institutions, socially progressive theater organizations, and experimental groups, Florence offers inspiration around every corner. From Giotto’s Campanile and The Duomo to the Bapistery of St. John, history is alive everywhere you look. Enclosed by the rolling hills of Tuscany, the region’s mild climate and ample opportunities for entertainment make it a popular destination. World-famous vineyards and olive oil producers are minutes away, while the cities of Venice, Milan, and Rome are just hours away by train.
Participants will live in a double room in a student apartment complete with kitchen usage. All utilities are included in the price of housing.
|| Cost (Double Room)
||with Single Room
Start dates are every few weeks, please inquire for specifics as these change every term. Application deadline is two months before interns wish to begin. If the two month deadline has passed, please contact us to see if an exception is possible. Internships are offered anytime throughout the year although late August is difficult, as Italy shuts down for a vacation. However, please contact us if your only availability is late in the summer, and we will try to accommodate your request.
• 2 Italian language sessions (One session in the 3-week program)
• Welcome orientation
• Housing (Please note: single rooms are available at an additional cost)
• Meal Plan at university (five units per week)
• Application fee
• Student Services fee
• Free use of gym and gym courses
• Internet access and wifi in all school facilities
• Use of library and library equipment
• Customized internship placement
• 24-hour emergency support
• Knowledgeable and professional program staff
• Pre-departure orientation
• Post-program support
• Medical and Accident Travel Insurance
*If accepted, a non-refundable deposit of $500 will be due upon accepting our offer. This is not an additional fee; it will be applied toward the total cost of the program.
Please note: Performing Arts Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner companies.
Performing Arts Abroad has partnerships with theaters and organizations all over Italy. Your placement will depend on your specific interests and the availability of programs at the time of your application. During your stay, you will spend anywhere from three weeks onward working with a performing arts organization in Florence, or a nearby Italian city. You will either be involved in the creative process of production design, contributing your own skills to the group and having an impact on the final production, or you will be working backstage on the performance itself. Your internship will be focused on your area of expertise and you will create a final project to showcase your work. This could be a stage design, a multimedia portfolio of your contributions to costume design and research, or a photo book of production lighting. This could also be the production itself, which will be a product of your stage management, sound or light board operation, technical direction, or other contribution to the show. You will learn how an international performing arts organization functions and experience cultural collaboration that will help you grow as a designer or manager.
Example internships may include (but are not limited to):
• Working with a theater organization as an assistant to the technical director
• Designing costumes for a local musical theater organization, researching and coordinating with other costume designers
• Stage managing or assistant stage managing for a production
• Running the sound or light board for shows
• Working for a lights and sound company that provides services to multiple venues throughout Italy, including theaters, live concerts, opera, and more